Wednesday, February 13, 2013

all the king's horses

I'm currently wearing pink tights.
I've spent the entire morning doubting myself and telling myself that no, the janitor wasn't judging me, he was just doing his job.
In my pink tights search, I ran into some serious problems. As in, I couldn't find any.
I searched 4 or 5 stores, and since there are no Forever 21s in Lynchburg (what kind of college town is this?), I felt kind of desolate.
I even almost went into Hot Topic, but save for the few adolescently turmoiled years in junior high, I'm never quite willing to be at a Hot-Topic-level in my life. No judgment here, though, for those of you who did go in there yesterday. You looked happy, kind of.

Target was the only choice, and the only choice they had was Pepto-Bismol.
It didn't actually say Pepto-Bismol on the label, but I went ahead and added it.
I almost grabbed the "wine" colored dark purpleish tights instead, but I knew in my soul I would never be satisfied accepting a challenge by skirting off into the purple zone. Nay, I had to bismol-it-up.

Please come by and ridicule me. The photos will be up tomorrow.

For now, enjoy yesterday's outfit! Devoid of any upset-stomache-medicine hues.


Dress: Ruche (similar)(remixed), Top: Modcloth, Belt: Gifted via LOFT (shop!)
Boots: Gifted via Zulily, Tights: Target

For those of you who don't know, my mom is a super amazing horse trainer.
My parent's house is located in Arizona, sitting on a good handful of acres and housing happy horses and other small animals. It was a joy to grow up there. It's still a joy to go back!
She built a business at home, calling it Grianna Stables. It has blessed countless people, including me!
She's a hard worker, a brilliant friend, a fantastic teacher and a wicked wit.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't buy this top just because it reminded me of her.







Somehow, my siblings and I weren't bitten by the horse bug.
We all split into various trails of passions and interests, and I think my mom was left a little bit baffled.
I'm kind of baffled, too, looking back. It makes me wonder and worry, a little, about what my kids will love and not love. It's easy to think about sharing my favorite books and music interests with my future daughter, but what if she hates the Beatles and wants nothing to do with leopard print and spicy food!?
My mom has been so gracious. And in turn, she has been blessed with a business that is overflowing with passionate women who love horses, love to ride, and love her. 
And I'm pretty confident that she will be followed around by little cowboy and cowgirl grandchildren who think she's the best thing in the world.



This weird little garden is hidden away on campus, across from the big house.
I find it both charming and strange, the home of stone sheep and cement benches and various shrubbery.





These pictures continually cause me to slap myself over that impulsive bang-cutting of 2012.
They can't grow out soon enough.





The Kiss of the Sun for Pardon
The Song of the Birds for Mirth
One is Nearer God's Heart in a
Garden than Anywhere Else on Earth



Until the next pink-tights-time we meet,

Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment